Sunday, April 30, 2017

Street Vending Machines



Vui choro spent a good 5 minutes ripping the apartment apart looking
for his name tag the other day before we left. -Don't worry, he found
it because he was already wearing it...

  One of my favorite things about Japan is how simple it is to get a
drink no matter where you are. There are literally vending machines on
every corner. Sadly, the drinks are not as big as the drinks we have
in America, but nonetheless, they work. -About 5 weeks ago, when it
was still a bit cold outside, I lost one of my gloves in between the
apartment and the church. I figured it was a lost cause, but it was
okay because it was starting to warm up. Well, the other day, I was
feeling a bit thirsty, so on the way home we stopped at a vending
machine to buy a quick drink. I got my drink, and started to gird up
my loins to bike away, when all of a sudden I saw my missing glove
right below me, set nicely on a little electrical pole. The Japanese
people are amazing. They don't take what isn't theirs, even if it is
just a glove. Even 5 weeks after losing it, I was still able to get it
back. How cool is Japan? The sad part is that it is warm now, and I'll
never need that glove again haha. It's okay though, Japan is still the
best.

    My companion also is really good at following the spirit when it
comes to going to McDonald's. He is really good at timing it just
right, so we are there when the Lord needs us. The other night after a
bowling activity, we were starving so we took a quick stop at a
McDonald's for a bite to eat. As we were sitting there, a lady walked
up to us and asked if we were the Mormon church. When we said yes, she
sat down at the table and explained that she used to take the lessons
and because of a couple thing before her baptism, lost contact with
the missionaries. She asked us if there was a way that she could meet
with the missionaries again, and take the lessons. We told her no and
to go home.... just kidding. We exchanged contact information and sent
her over to the sister missionaries in her area. The Lord works in
funny ways, even through a hungry Samoan and McDonalds.

  Ryo, the kid that walked into the church last week asking to be
baptized is doing AWESOME! He wasn't baptized yesterday because we
found out that he lives on the border of our area, and another Kyoto
area next to us which is technically the other area. So we are working
to get him more acquainted with that ward, and his baptism will be
held Saturday May 13th. We were able to meet with him almost everyday
this past week, and he even had a baptismal interview on Friday and
did wonderful. I've never seen someone take in the gospel like Ryo
has. He is such a great guy, and I'm so excited for him to be baptized
in a couple weeks! It's the perfect example of member missionary work.
His friend had already taught Him so much, so when we met him, he was
ready to go. I've learned so much about member missionary work since
coming on my mission. And seeing examples like this makes me want to
be so much better. You never know what's going to happen if you just
invite a family member to hear about the gospel. You might just get a
big surprise! The worst thing they can say is "no".

    Thank you all for the birthday wishes this past week! I actually
had forgotten it was my birthday until I woke up with Vui choro
jumping on top of me screaming happy birthday at the top of his lungs.
It was a great birthday, and I'm glad I was able to spend both of my
birthdays on my mission with Vui choro, who has become one of my best
friends.

Kyoto is great, life is good, and I don't want to be anywhere else! I
love you all more than....shoot. I'm out of ideas. But I sure love you
a lot.

Evans choro

Culture party at Eikaiwa
Lesson with Ryo during splits with Elder Mecham
Ryo after his baptismal interview

No comments:

Post a Comment