Thursday, September 10, 2015

Missionary Training Compound


Well, week 1 is down, many more to go! The MTC is definitely the hardest thing I have ever done! But its one of the funnest things I have done as well. When we got here last Wednesday, we were given 15-20 pounds of books and thrown into class within 10 minutes of being here. I have an amazing district and I love every one of them. My district has 8 people in it, 4 sisters and 4 elders. 3 of which (my companion, me, and one other sister) are going to Kobe, and the other 5 to Nagoya! All of the missionaries that have been here longer than us are really supportive and we are one big family. My companion's name is Anthony Choro (Elder). He is from Pleasant Grove Utah and we are excited to be serving together!

The gift of tongues is real. I have already memorized both Hiragana and Katakana (If you don't know what that it, look it up haha) I also can pray in Japanese and say a small testimony! Its only been a week!! My companion and I have already taught 4 lessons in Japanese to the same person! Its been fun and a very good learning experience for us. I am in a dorm with 4 others. There are Anthony Choro and I, Graydon Choro and Richardson Choro (Graydon Choro is from New Castle in England so we love to hear him talk) and then Collet Choro and Melina Choro! Melina choro is from Bolivia and speaks 4 languages including Japanese. They are moving him to fast track so he will be in Japan within the next week or so. 

My first Sunday here was a fast Sunday, which was both a blessing and a curse. They didn't hold breakfast or lunch, which was really hard because I was experiencing major homesickness. So not having any food in me didn't help anything. But the meetings that day were incredible and something that I will never forget. We watched a film on Sunday and it was a talk by Elder Bednar. He helped me out a lot by saying, "When you think that you cannot do this [Mission], you are right. You can't. But with the strength of the Lord, YOU CAN! I have a testimony of that, because with the strength of the Lord, I can accomplish this hard task of serving a mission for 2 years. Everyone here says that days are weeks and weeks are days. THAT IS VERY TRUE!!! This was the longest week of my life, but at the same time, I have already been on my mission for a week! It feels like I just got dropped off yesterday!

Japanese is super hard, but also super super fun! I just can't wait to be able to say anything I want in Japanese. I am sure within a couple months, I will be able to. I have learned so much in just one week here and I cant wait to see what else I will learn in these next 8 long weeks. 

The MTC is definitely crazy. We were told in a lesson that it is harder than Jail, because in jail you can at least use the phone and watch TV haha. Which of course, made all of us missionaries think that Jail didn't sound so bad after all! But,overall the MTC is super hard, but also super, super fun and rewarding! We have great times and I have made lots of friends that I am sure I will have forever. I love everyone here! You can feel the spirit so strong and it is amazing. Today we get to go to the temple which I am super excited for! It'll give me a little bit of home.

I can also testify that the phone vibrations in your empty pockets ARE A REAL THING!! Its crazy how much my phone vibrates here. I must be super popular  or something because my phone vibrates multiple times a day haha!

I love all of you and hope you are all doing okay! Thank you for all of your love and support! I miss you all and hope you have a safe week! 

1 week down!!! Many more to go!!


If I have missed anything that you want to know, write me a dear elder and I'll answer your question for you!

Elder Alex Evans

Alex's first Journal Entry!  
He is making fun of his Dads "Random Thought" Journal
that he kept while on his mission in Japan.

Alex and his Companion Elder Anthony

 
 His Extremely Packed Closet

His District.  The blond to his right is the only Sister pictured going to Kobe. 

The 15-20 pounds of books he received when he arrived 

His Bed :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment